Thursday 16 July 2015

Janes biog

EMQG Blog

Jane Rae


I started to quilt when I was 12 years old. I would sit with my Mum in the evenings and cut out hexagon pieces using a metal template and a pencil. I grew up in Hong Kong and there was very little in the way of printed cotton fabric so we really did have to make do and mend. My first quilt was made from recycled dress fabrics, doll’s dress and anything that we saw down at the market that might be suitable. We lined the quilt with a blanket bought from the Chinese Merchandise Emporium and backed it with a piece of sheeting. My lovely quilt is in storage at the moment as we are in the process of renovating an old house. I’m missing all those familiar little remnants from the past and I’m sure it will be one of the first things I unpack when we’ve finished – watch this space!

I’ve always enjoyed sitting down with friends to “make”. As the years have passed I spend more and more time sewing and quilting and I’m very fortunate to have been able to combine my background in publishing with my interest in al things textile related. I now spend my working life writing, editing and project managing all sorts of quilt and textile related projects. I am also thrilled to be on the Project Committee for Talking Quilts, an oral history project inspired by the success of QSOS in the US. With the aid of a Heritage Lottery Fund grant, this three-year project is now in its second year.

One of my favourite recent “makes” is the Rubies and Diamonds Quilt designed by Lynne Goldsworthy of Lily’s Quilts using Oakshott fabrics. I love the luster from Oakshott fabrics and the subtle colours are really lovely to work with. I find it hard to resist Liberty Tana Lawn fabrics, vintage embroideries, handbag patterns and scrappy quilts and I’m also hooked on dyeing and printing fabrics!








I’m really happy to be the Secretary for EMQG – it’s such a positive, fun bunch and there is so much talent within our group. Having Jo as our President is the icing on the cake! She’s a whirlwind of ideas, energy, gorgeous quilts and embroideries and we get to meet in her shop surrounded by lovely fabrics…what’s not to like!



1 comment:

  1. what a lovely post Jane, and fascinating to hear all about your exotic childhood!

    ReplyDelete

  Christmas in March! For this month only i'm handing over the blog (mostly) to Mags Scammell. She is the host of tonight's ceremony...