Monday 31 July 2017

Meet Cathy!

Here is the next in our series of member biography posts, lets meet the lovely Cathy.
 
Hi all 
 
I am originally from High Blantyre in Lanarkshire .... Studied Nursing in Glasgow and moved to Edinburgh just before I got married in 1985. Married to Donald (he is a star) and have 2 wonderful daughters Gwen 26 and Sarah 22 X We have a beautiful grand daughter Rosie who is 19 months old and a great joy :) She is going to be a big sister in January all being well. I retired from nursing 2 months ago and thoroughly enjoying the free time. 
 
 
My interest in sewing  began at High School when a friend and I decided to opt out of the planned art project for the year and each made a multi coloured patchwork leather shoulder bag sewn by hand. Great fun X My elder sister was a fab sewer (she is now a quilter extraordinaire) and when I was around 16 I begged her to make me a tartan maxi coat in pink
Lol as I was an Ian Anderson fan. 
I loved that coat and thought a was the 'bees knees' ... Didn't get an invite to join Jethro Tull however :( 
 
Greatly admired my sisters quilts and went to my first quilting workshop in a lil shop in Morningside around 8  years ago and made (by hand ) a baby cot quilt. 
 
For several years I did Silversmithing which I really enjoyed and may go back to one day. It's great making your own silver jewellery ...very satisfying. 
 
I returned to quilting a few years ago and am loving working with fabric again . I am fairly new to Modern Quilting but enjoying the learning process. Love coming along to the Guild meeting fellow quilters and admiring the amazing work done by all.
 
I have had two fabulous weekends away to West Manse Quilt Retreat in Cullen and can highly recommend it X Beautiful part of the country, fab workspace, amazing food .... Oh and cake.  ( and cute Wee doggy Findlay ...what a character ) Had a quilting break at Gartmore too which was great X 
 
 
Happy Quilting All!
 
Thank you Cathy! Now lets see some of your fab work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Christmas in March! For this month only i'm handing over the blog (mostly) to Mags Scammell. She is the host of tonight's ceremony...